This weekend has been one of those where I felt like I was chasing my tail. I had a lot of things to get done, and was trying to do it all at once, and before I knew it the weekend was almost over. This sunday I made it a priority to take a break and make a delicious recipe I have been craving for free weeks now: a cast iron chicken skillet.
I have had skillets before at restaurants but I never really made them at home. I recently got a nice Cast Iron Skillet , and was determined to finally make one.
I am a sucker for caramelised-anything, so I added onions to it. I will show you how to turn the onion into caramelized heaven. I have to warn you though, I was tempted to finish the whole skillet on my own…so be careful 😉
Before I jump to the recipe I want to let you know that this recipe is low carb. So if you are making this for your family and wish to add other vegetables such as potatoes for example, you may do so of course. You will not ruin the recipe by adding more vegetables.
I feel like this is one of those recipes that you can hardly get wrong. I am usually not afraid of adding more of my favorite spices – as long as you don’t overdo it with salt and pepper, you should be fine.
In this recipe: you will need a Cast Iron Skillet
The onion will finish caramelizing in the oven, so make sure you have some bread ready to ‘déguster’ with the sauce
Cast Iron Chicken Skillet
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp grass fed/ organic butter
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/2 onion
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup of cauliflower
- 3 large carrots
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of water
- Heat up a cast iron on medium heat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Add the chopped onion, the olive oil and the chicken breasts to the cast iron, and cook in medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side. Add the paprika, cilantro and mix everything well.
- As the onions cook (as you stir), they will start to take on a golden/brown color. Once you cook the chicken breasts for 2 minutes on each side, place the cast iron aside.
- Slice the vegetables and add them to the chicken and onion.
- Heat up the butter in the microwave (for 15 seconds) until it starts to melt.
- Mix in the pepper, salt, the lemon juice, the parmesan cheese, the garlic and the water. Mix well and pour equally on the chicken and vegetables.
- Place in the oven to cook for about 40 minutes.
- To make sure the vegetables are fully cooked before serving, poke the carrots with a fork and see if it is still hard.
- Drizzle with olive oil before serving.
I sincerely hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. Also don’t forget to subscribe to get my email updates whenever I share one of my creations. You can also get some sweet FREE resources over here.